"Awesome!" A Blog.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Truffles

Here's my dilemma, and it's not a bad one. Someone recently gave me a jar of three Italian black truffles, and I don't know what to do with them. I'd like to use them in a Thanksgiving dish, but mainly I'd like to use these mythical little dooks to their best ends. All in all a nice piece of fried bacon would give more palate pleasure, but truffles have that potato chip bouquet and delicate richness that just might take center stage in some new recipe. They seem like they'd be a natural with crab, lobster, eggs, and other prissy proteins. Short of avocado nori with truffled sesame aspic, what do you do with these little tumors? I don't want to dick around trying to get on Thomas Keller's short list, but I don't want to slice these into Top Ramen with Tabasco either.